Bridging the Border

Tijuana tests family ties

After father deported, former Hazel Dell family navigates life separated by border

Bridging the Border: A Family Divided was supported by the Pulitzer Center.

TIJUANA, Mexico — Ramon Flores mills around the crowded, tin-roofed cabinet shop located in Guerrero — one of the oldest residential neighborhoods in Tijuana, and today home to the middle class. When he steps outside, he can see the United States, where he lived for 20 years, in the near distance.

Stray dogs roam the streets, picking through trash in the gutters, stirred up from recent heavy rains.

Ramon’s youngest son, Edward, 12, hovers nearby as he sets about his work. His children, U.S. citizens, often accompany him to work when they visit him in Mexico.


Ramon Flores walks from his car into the shop where he works as a carpenter Nov. 29 in Tijuana, Mexico. For decades, Ramon worked for Mexican grocery businesses, and in 2016, started his own full-time business when he lived in Hazel Dell.

Amanda Cowan/The Columbian

“I am not comfortable having them here. … An accident could happen,” Ramon, 46, says. “But it’s the only time I get to spend with them.”

The former Hazel Dell residents are separated by the border most of the week, all because of a routine business trip to Everett that changed the course of his family’s American life.

‘Baggage of ice’

Ramon runs compressed particle board, or as he calls it in his native Spanish, “melamina,” through a machine to tape the rough edges, then places the finished pieces on a table behind him to be shaved. The finished pieces will go into kitchen cabinets.


Ramon Flores makes custom cabinets for work in Tijuana. When Flores lived in Vancouver, he owned his own successful business.

Amanda Cowan/The Columbian

It took him three months to get the hang of his new cabinet-making trade. 

“I’m still learning,” he said. “I never stop learning.”

His new job is a big change from what he’s used to. He spent decades working in the retail, wholesale and warehouse aspects of the grocery business, and in 2016, he launched his own full-time Mexican goods business in Washington.

He regularly traveled to Everett, where he served four clients. He often stayed at a Motel 6 there.

On Feb. 13, 2017, when Ramon checked in, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. But when he was ready to check out the next day, he noticed a black SUV in the parking lot and a man staring at him. He thought it was odd, he said, but he assumed the man was waiting for someone else.

“And I just left my key on the reception and walking back to the car, and the guy is still there in the same place, in the car,” said Ramon, whose second language is English. “I drive my car to the street, and they follow me. And two blocks from (the motel), they stop me.”

Ramon said another SUV came up behind him, and a handful of people exited the vehicles.

“I don’t do anything. I don’t drive over the limit. I don’t pass any light, nothing. I get surprised why they are stopping me,” he said. “When I see those people say ICE, I just felt like a baggage of ice. I still thinking about how and why they know that I’m here. Who told them?”

The ICE agents placed him in handcuffs and loaded him into an SUV. On his way to the Northwest Detention Center in Tacoma, he called his wife, Enedis.

“I just don’t want to call her, but I know that she has to know. I told her, ‘The thing that I has scared happen, happen. It happen,’ ” Ramon said, clearing his throat. “The scream that time she made, just feel like a knife in my heart.”


Enedis Flores checks on her sleeping children in her husband's Tijuana apartment on Nov. 29.

Amanda Cowan/The Columbian

Enedis Flores, 54, said she was driving when she got the call. She pulled over and wept for a half-hour.

“I think, ‘What I need to do now? What I talk to my kids?’ ” said Enedis, whose second language is English.

Over the next two days, she told the oldest children that ICE arrested their father, and instructed them to keep it from Edward and Rayma, now 10. That night, though, when Ramon didn’t return home, Edward started asking questions. Enedis did her best to dodge them.

None of the children knew their father was living undocumented in the U.S.

“I just thought, ‘Hey, that’s my dad. He’s been here for like, I don’t know how long. He’s just doing what he does all the time — goes to work, pays his taxes, all that stuff,’ ” said Leslie, now 23. “Immigration, in general, I never really took the time to actually look into because it wasn’t such an issue in my family, or so I thought.”

Ramon tried to adjust to detention.

“When I first arrive there, they treat you like you don’t have any rights. They don’t care that you’re feeling. They don’t care if you have kids, family,” he said. “For the first three days, I don’t eat. I don’t want to eat. I just feel really bad. I never be in a place like that, in that situation. The time, minutes, hours, days, go too slow.”

That weekend, Enedis brought the children to see him. They all sat opposite of Ramon, looking through a window and speaking over a phone.


Lennes Flores, 18, talks about his family's struggles following his father's deportation in his father's two-bedroom Tijuana apartment on Nov. 29.

Amanda Cowan/The Columbian

“It was the worst. … As soon as I sat down, I started crying,” Ramon’s oldest son, Lennes, now 18, recalled.

The youngest children, Edward and Rayma, were confused.

“I was thinking, ‘How did this happen?’ Because I didn’t know my dad was not supposed to be in the USA,” Edward said.

“We thought he was like innocent and a good (person),” Rayma added.

The family visited every weekend. But at one point, Ramon asked them to stay home, because it was a burden on their well-being and finances.

“That doesn’t mean I don’t want to see them. I just want them to not sacrifice,” he said.


The Flores family pauses for a portrait outside Ramon’s apartment complex in Tijuana, Mexico. Family members are, clockwise from left, Leslie, 23, Lennes, 18, Raymond, 15, Ramon, 46, Enedis, 54, Rayma, 10, Edward, 12, and Kennedy, 16. The dogs are Canelo, left, and Bambi, wrapped in the blanket.

Amanda Cowan/The Columbian

Ramon sat in the detention center until his immigration trial in July 2017. He thought he had a shot at staying in the U.S., he said, because he had no criminal history and paid his taxes. He was a contributing member of society. His wife and children are all U.S. citizens.

“They don’t give me any chance to stay there,” he said.

The family spent nearly $15,000 on an immigration attorney — they sold a vehicle and used money set aside to pay business taxes — but it did no good.

After six months in detention, Ramon was deported Aug. 28, 2017. He was sent from Tacoma to New Mexico to Mexico City.

“It was just ridiculous, and it made me super angry,” Leslie said of her father’s deportation. “How can they possibly think it’s OK to rip families apart?”


Edward Flores, 12, shares a moment with his dad, Ramon, as the family exchanges American dollars for pesos in downtown Tijuana on Nov. 30.

Amanda Cowan/The Columbian

Seeking a better life

Ramon doesn’t expect U.S.-born people to understand why he entered the country illegally, he said. But he hopes people can keep an open mind.

He hears people say, “Oh, well, you shouldn’t have been there in the first place.”

“They say that because I don’t think they have the situation like me when I was young,” Ramon said. “If we make a decision to do something like that, we don’t do it to do something wrong or broke the law. … The situation push us to do it. … I don’t think it’s fair to treat us like criminals.”

Ramon was born in Mexico’s Jalisco state and raised in the small beach town of Bucerias, near Puerto Vallarta.

He said he had a pretty normal life there. He went to school and then started to help his father in agriculture and construction.

Although Bucerias is considered a resort town, traffickers operate in the area. Five of Ramon’s friends who stayed have been killed, he said.

“If I live there and not left the area, maybe I’m not alive right now,” he said.


Emergency lights illuminate Ramon Flores, as crews tend to a person who collapsed in a crepe shop along Avenida Revolucion in Tijuana, Mexico, where Ramon’s family had stopped to get a treat Nov. 30.

Amanda Cowan/The Columbian

He tried to cross the Mexico-California border for the first time in 1995. He ran into trouble.

“We cannot do it, and we go back to my town. And then a few months later, we come back again and do it and cross,” Ramon said. He thinks it was early 1996 when he successfully crossed with four other people.

“We pass a whole night in the hills, and I worry about snakes,” he said.

They carried nothing but water and placed their trust in their guide, called a coyote.

“That’s another risk because they can do, they can do a lot of stuff, bad things,” Ramon said.

He returned to Bucerias a couple of years later to visit his parents. When he re-entered the U.S. in 1998, he was deported. Ramon managed to cross back within the year, he said.

It was around that same time his future wife won a visa lottery in Cuba and came to the U.S. with her son, Jeng-Li, now 30, and Leslie. (Jeng-Li has not lived with the family since he was 18.)

Ramon met Enedis in June 2000 at their workplace. They married three years later. The following year, Enedis passed the test to receive U.S. citizenship.

They talked about Ramon trying to do the same, but with his history of illegal entries, he worried he’d be separated from his new and growing family.


Enedis Flores makes coffee for her husband, Ramon, as he looks out the window of his apartment in Tijuana, Mexico, before work Nov. 29. The couple’s sons Lennes and Raymond try to sleep through the morning noise. With six kids in a two-bedroom, one-bathroom apartment, the family has to get creative with sleeping arrangements.

Amanda Cowan/The Columbian

Five years and five children later, the family settled in Hazel Dell. They rented a two-story townhouse near Luke Jensen Sports Park. Those were the golden years, they agreed, especially after Ramon’s business blossomed.

“The family was happy,” Ramon said.

That all ended the day ICE agents detained him.

Starting from scratch

Now, Ramon makes 2,000 pesos, or about $110 U.S., per week. His rent is 2,500 pesos — $132 U.S. — per month.

“Compared with what I made in the U.S., it’s ridiculous. It’s a joke,” Ramon said. “But for now, it’s what I can get. I’m still looking for other income. For now, it pays the bills and rent.”

His apartment building is older, and when he moved in, the walls were covered in mold. He refinished the front door, cleaned and painted the walls lime green, and built kitchen cabinets and a bathroom vanity.

Ramon moved to Tijuana to be as close to his family as possible, which prompted their relocation from Clark County to Chula Vista, Calif.

“I start over, start a new life with nothing. Zero. It was a big challenge,” he said.

The first two months in Tijuana were the hardest. He lived in his car for a few nights, then slept on the kitchen floor of a friend’s apartment for about a month. A friend in California connected him with a brother in Tijuana. The brother let Ramon stay in a little room in his house for a few months until he got his apartment. He’s been there over a year.

“I was scared at the beginning. Everything I heard about the city was bad, and I was here by myself,” Ramon said. “I still feel like anything could happen.”

Finding a decent job in Tijuana has also proved difficult. A friend helped him get the carpentry gig.

When he thinks about his old life, it’s not his business, nice home or money he misses most. It’s his family.

“The most important thing is that we’re all together, not divided,” Ramon said.

He can’t attend his children’s sporting events, award ceremonies or high school graduations. The thought of missing so much makes him feel terrible, “like it’s a really bad dream, but it’s the reality now,” he said.

On the weekends, his wife and children stay with him. During the week, with few friends and little money, he goes straight home after work, lonely and depressed, he said. 

When his wife and children visit his Tijuana apartment, they rarely go out, and instead hole up for the entire weekend.

But on this Saturday in November, they venture to downtown Tijuana.

“Zebras” — donkeys with painted stripes — are stationed on sidewalks for paid photo ops with tourists. A mariachi band plays across the street. Stretch limos cruise Avenida Revolucion, with teens poking their heads out the sunroof, celebrating a quinceanera. 

The family peruses the “artesanias.” Enedis places a green, bedazzled sombrero on her head.

They mostly window shop, but Enedis and the children splurge on “crepas.” Enedis grins as she takes a bite of bananas, strawberries, cream cheese and Nutella. Chocolate dots her nose. Ramon wipes it off with a napkin, teasing her.

Raymond, 15, begs his father for a chain necklace. Even though it costs nearly a half-week’s pay, Ramon agrees to buy it as a late birthday present.

“I feel bad because I can’t do the same like I’m doing before. And when I have the opportunity to give them something they want, I feel good,” Ramon said.


Enedis Flores, from left, gets set to drive her children across the Mexico border to Chula Vista, Calif., as Raymond and his siblings say goodbye to their father, Ramon.

Amanda Cowan/The Columbian

The drive ‘home’

It’s 10 p.m. Sunday, the end of the weekend. Ramon stands outside the gates of his apartment and watches his family drive away. Enedis yells, “Goodbye, Papi,” as she waves out the driver’s side window.

The soothing sounds of French pianist Richard Clayderman play as she navigates the dark streets of Tijuana. The roads are mostly empty — a stark contrast to the daytime when traffic largely resembles organized chaos.

Sixteen-year-old Kennedy, headphones on, was less than pleased to sit in the farthest back seat of the Honda Odyssey with Rayma and Edward. She occasionally snaps at the two youngest to sit still and be quiet. Raymond, seated in the middle row, watches a basketball game on his phone.

The line at the U.S. border is only an estimated 30-minute wait, according to a phone app. The family has crossed so many times that they know the best window is between midnight and 3 a.m. That makes for a rough start to a Monday morning for everyone, though. Tonight, the line moves more quickly than the estimate. 


Street vendors greet motorists as they prepare to cross the border into the United States from Mexico at the San Ysidro Port of Entry on Dec. 1.

Amanda Cowan/The Columbian

Street vendors approach the waiting cars. Some sell flowers or candy; one is holding a bouquet of sparkling balloons with animal faces.

When it’s their turn, Enedis pulls the van up to the border agent, a younger woman. From her purse, Enedis produces the family members’ birth certificates and a copy of her passport.

The border agent looks over the paperwork, takes roll call and then asks, “Do you have anything from Mexico?”

“No,” Enedis answers. They left what matters behind.

Bridging the Border

A three-day series

Sunday: A family divided

Today: Tijuana tests family ties

Immigration attorney: Few legal paths for immigrants

Coming Tuesday: Living parallel lives

Motel 6 lawsuit

To learn more about the Washington Motel 6 lawsuit and settlement, visit The information is also available in Spanish. To file a claim, visit

Those who believe they may be a member in the Motel 6 class-action lawsuit and settlement can submit a claim at

The claims process in both settlements ends Dec. 31.

Claimants in the Washington settlement are eligible to also file a claim in the class-action settlement. However, class-action claimants waive their right to file their own lawsuit. Claimants may include in their submission how their family was affected by Motel 6’s practices, which will be considered in distributing funds.

How we reported this story

Columbian readers first met Ramon Flores’ family in September 2017 in a story headlined Deportation tears apart family of 9. At that time, Ramon was in New Mexico, only days away from being deported to Mexico City.

His wife and children were still living in Hazel Dell, trying to reassemble their lives without their husband, father and breadwinner.

Reporter Jessica Prokop told their story, and followed up as state Attorney General Bob Ferguson sued Motel 6 for disclosing the personal information of guests to federal immigration authorities, who then singled out Latino-sounding names. After Motel 6 settled two lawsuits for $22 million last summer, Prokop began wondering what had happened to the Floreses. Was Ramon still in Mexico? Was the family still in Clark County? Had they put their shattered lives back together somehow? She made a few calls and found out the family was in Southern California, and Ramon was just across the border in Tijuana, Mexico. There was a good story, but how could we afford to tell it?

Education reporter Katie Gillespie, who is the chapter president of the Western Washington Society of Professional Journalists, told Prokop about grant funding from the Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting. With help from Gillespie, Prokop and our photo editor, Amanda Cowan, submitted an application for funding to travel to San Diego County and Mexico to meet with the family, see their lives and tell their story. The Pulitzer Center quickly responded. The money was ours.

Prokop and Cowan decided to travel over the week of Thanksgiving, both for the irony and operational reasons: With most of the family having time off in the U.S., they would have a rare chance to be interviewed and photographed together during this most American of holidays.

We hope that our readers will appreciate their report of the family’s precious few days together, and the plight of the Floreses and countless others like them in the U.S. and Mexico.

— Craig Brown, editor

read more: